Thursday, January 12, 2012

Could a Polka-Dot Wasp Moth be found in Eastern Illinois?

I found a bug in my back yard that was flying around and ended up in my hair. It was black, about 1.5" long with white spots. Two of the white spots were large and looked liked eyes on it's back. The only thing I could find similar to it was a Polka-Dot Wasp Moth or Oleander Moth. Is there anything else this could be? It got away before I could take it's picture. I live in Illinois near St. Louis, MO so I'm wondering if this type of insect even lives around here.

Could a Polka-Dot Wasp Moth be found in Eastern Illinois?
No, you're too far North for the Polka-Dot or Oleander. Florida is the only State in which sightings have been reported. The Eight Spotted Forrester kinda matches your description, but I don't think they have eye spots, and I'm not sure what their range is. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

network security

No comments:

Post a Comment